St. John XXIII History
Bishop Earl Boyea of the Diocese of Lansing, received a letter from a member of the Faithful in Lansing, MI asking for the Extraordinary Form of the Latin Rite.
Bishop Boyea, desiring to fulfill the request of Pope Benedict XVI to make greater use of the Extraordinary Form of the Latin Rite for those whom it would benefit, asked the priest of the Lansing area if one of them would be willing to have the Mass at their parish. Having none come forward, he asked Fr. Jeffrey Robideau who is friendly toward the EF, to do some research to find out what the real need is in the Lansing area.
With the letter from one member of the Faithful, Fr. Robideau was directed to many more families that were also interested. In a matter of a few weeks there were 49 families on the list as interested.
On 6-8-2010, there was a meeting in the Diocesan Center basement meeting room for those interested. Having 60 people at the meeting, 20 of them represented new families bringing the total to 69 families interested.
With the information gathered at the meeting presented to the Bishop, he agreed that there was enough interest to merit Diocesan support for a new group to be formed to provide the EF.
Bishop Boyea then asked Fr. Robideau if he would take the assignment. In a meeting with the bishop on 6-19-2010, Fr. Robideau agreed to take the assignment.
Bishop Boyea accepted Fr. Robideau’s resignation from Our Lady of Fatima Parish in Michigan Center, MI on 8-13-2010. On 8-21-2010, the Feast of St. Pius X, Bishop Boyea signed the decree establishing Blessed John XXIII Community and the letter of appointment of Fr. Robideau as the first Chaplain, both to go into effect on September 1, 2010.
- 9-26-2010 - First Mass, the 18th Sunday after Pentecost
- 10-10-2010 - First Mass with Bishop Boyea, the 20th Sunday after Pentecost
- 10-16-2010 - First Baptism. Her name was Grace. How appropriate.
- 2-6-2011 - First Social Hour, the 5th Sunday after Epiphany
- 4-24-2011 - First Missa Cantata, Easter Sunday
- 6-25-2011 - First parish picnic. We had our first parish picnic at the home of Fr. Robideau in Leslie known as Saintly Acres. It started at 4pm with Mass in the chapel he was building in his basement. There were about 70 people. There was a bonfire and games. Fr. Robideau even gave the children a ride on his horse, Wrangler.
- 7-16-2011 - First Wedding.
- 4-8-2012 - First First Holy Communion. Also, our second Easter together.
- 4-8-2012 - New vestments. This was the day we wore our new vestments for the first time. Being Easter Sunday, the color was white. This was the only vestment we had at the time as we were waiting for the other colors to arrive. We asked the tailor to rush the white vestments so we could have them for Easter. They arrived on Good Friday, just in time. Many families contributed to the special collection we took up for the new vestments. One person in particular (anonymous) gave over $6,000 to make the project happen. The total collected was $ 9043.00.
- 5-20-2012 - First Confirmation. Bishop Boyea arrived after the 11 am Mass and celebrated the sacrament. This was Bishop Boyea’s second visit with us.
- 5-27-2012 - Red Vestment worn for the first time. Pentecost Sunday.
- 6-10-2012 - Green Vestment worn for the first time. The 2nd Sunday after Pentecost.
- 11-2-2012 - Black Vestment worn for the first time. Feast of All Souls.
- 12-2-2012 - Violet Vestment worn for the first time. First Sunday of Advent.
- 12-16-2012 - Rose Vestment worn for the first time. 3rd Sunday of Advent.
- 2-23-2013 - Construction of Sanctuary platform. We had two people show up with Fr. Robideau and they worked until 9 pm to finish it. All was completed except for the trim as this did not arrive in time.
- 3-31-2013 - First Solemn Missa Cantata. Easter Sunday. We used our brand new set of six candles and altar cross and our new set of 6 torches. We had incense for the first time and crucifer for the first time and an MC for the first time. While the new platform has been finished for two weeks, this was the official opening use of it. We also had two first communicants. It was an exciting day of firsts.
- 4-19-2013 - We received our new copes (gold and green). The others are still on the way.
- 6-9-2013 - We have our first convert, Larry Wade.
- 8-15-2013 - Feast of the Assumption, Fr. Robideau shows the community the new gold High Mass set of vestments.
- 9-4-2013 - The new altar Fr. Robideau built is used for the first time.
- 4-4-2015 - We have our first Easter Vigil.
- 6-5-2016 - We have our first adult confirmation.
- 7-22-2016 - The new reredos Fr. Robideau built is used for the first time. Feast of St. Mary Magdalene
- 9-25-2016 - We use our new community prayer to Pope St. Gregory the Great for the first time. We have spent 2 or more years in picking the saint and developing this prayer. In this prayer we ask Pope St. Gregory the Great to be our intercessor that we may grow by many souls to worship God and that we are able to build our own church one day.
- 12-5-2016 - The Chapel is painted - The Remolding is coming along well.
- 3-16-2017 - We have our first Men's Night